Traverse City, Mich. (Tuesday, February 03, 2009)
– Twenty-five years ago the first episode of The Cosby Show aired, Michael Jackson’s Thriller became the most repeated music video ever, and the first compact disc hit the market. Of note to the boating world that year, was the fact that no insurance company would consider offering coverage for a classic wooden boat.
When insurance agents Frank and Louise Hagerty discovered that they couldn’t find adequate insurance for their own classic wooden boat, they saw it as an opportunity. They started their own agency specializing in insurance products for the wooden boat collector. In April of 1984, Hagerty Classic Marine issued their first marine policy.
With 2009 marking the Silver Anniversary of Hagerty Classic Marine, the organization wanted to create a list of the Top 25 Boating Destinations by polling the experts: their own clients.
“After 25 years of involvement within this industry, we felt it would be a fun and even nostalgic to gather our clients’ thoughts about where they love to use their wooden boats. After all, it’s the experience of boating more than simple ownership that attracts the real boat lover,” says Carla Gernhofer, Vice-President of Hagerty Marine and Hagerty’s first employee. “We hope other enthusiasts will enjoy this list and post it on their wall so they can explore these wonderful destinations themselves.”
Hagerty Marine’s Top 25 Best Boating Destinations:
1. Lake Tahoe (California and Nevada)
2. Rideau Canal System (Ontario, Canada)
3. Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River (Canada and New York)
4. Lake Winnipesaukee (New Hampshire)
5. Lake George (New York)
6. Priest Lake (Bonner County, Idaho)
7. Spread Eagle Chain of Lakes (Northern Wisconsin)
8. Lake Sunapee (New Hampshire)
9. Lake Coeur d’Alene (Coeur d’Alene, Idaho)
10. Les Cheneaux Islands (Hessel, Michigan)
11. Lake Geneva (Lake Geneva, Wisconsin)
12. Lake Muskoka (Ontario, Canada)
13. Put-In Bay (Lake Erie)
14. Lake Minnetonka (Minnesota)
15. Clear Lake (California)
16. Smith Mountain Lake (Virginia)
17. Mount Dora (Florida)
18. Saint Clair River (Michigan)
19. Georgian Bay (Lake Huron)
20. Keuka Lake (New York)
21. Lake Charlevoix (Michigan)
22. Lake of the Woods (Ontario, Canada)
23. Payette Lake (McCall, Idaho)
24. Penobscot Bay (Maryland)
25. Saint John’s River (Florida)
Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, Inc. is the leading insurance agency for collector boats in the nation. Hagerty Classic Marine offers insurance for qualifying classic and wooden boats. For more information, call (800) 762-2628 or visit www.hagertymarine.com.