An accident in one of our favorite cars is probably the last thing we want to imagine.
But not preparing for the worst can leave you vulnerable if an accident should occur, so it’s a good idea to have a plan in place. If you can at least think through the scenario now, then you’ll know exactly what to do if an accident ever does happen.
Though every situation is different, here are some basic steps you can follow if you’re involved in an accident:
- Remain calm. Take a second to orient yourself to your surroundings.
- Put your vehicle in Park and shut off the engine.
- Check yourself for injuries first, and then observe the status of your passengers.
- Call 911 to report the accident, and apply first-aid as directed.
- Turn your hazard lights on to alert others to your disabled vehicle.
- If it’s a relatively minor accident, attempt to move your vehicle out of the roadway.
- Gather personal information from other parties, but do not admit fault. Include full name(s), phone and address, make/model and license plate numbers of involved vehicles, insurance company name, and policy number.
- Request contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene and both vehicles.
- Give an accurate and detailed statement to the investigating officer. Stick with the facts, and don’t speculate.
- Call for roadside assistance if your vehicle is not drivable.
- Contact your agent, submit a claim on the Hagerty.ca website, or call us at 1-888-348-9369 (ext. 4) to report the accident.
- Keep a file for all of your accident and insurance related documents.