Hagerty protects classic vehicles and much more. Qualifications for coverage depend on how you use and store your vehicle, and your driving record.
Minimum Driver and Vehicle Qualifications for Hagerty Insurance
In order to qualify for our Agreed Value classic car insurance, you and your vehicle must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Driver Eligibility: We are not able to offer coverage to drivers with a serious infraction within the last three years. Serious infractions include alcohol-related offences, reckless driving, and excessive speed violations.
- Vehicle Usage: Our policy allows you reasonable pleasure use, with no fixed restrictions — it just can't be your daily driver.
- Storage: Though we prefer that collector vehicles are stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use — such as a private garage, pole barn, car condo or storage unit — we will consider other storage types, including* carports, driveways, parking garages, or car hauling trailers.
- Regular-Use Vehicles: All household members with a valid driver's licence must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving, covered with regular-use insurance in that driver's name. Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered viable regular use vehicles by our program.
Types of vehicles we protect:
Vehicles that we may not protect
Offering affordable, tailored insurance with Agreed Value coverage means there are some vehicles that don’t qualify, including:
- Daily-use vehicles
- Vehicles used for camping, off-roading or utility purposes
- Late-model vehicles that have been highly customized for looks or performance (commonly referred to as “tuners”)
- Vehicles that are highly customized for appearance and suspension (commonly referred to as "lowriders")
- Commercial-use vehicles
- Motorcycles or scooters
- Replicas of the 1963-67 Shelby Cobra
- Vehicles that are used for racing, timed events, autocross or driver's education
- Vehicles modified with features such as a roll cage, wheelie casters, parachutes, nitrous components or modifications that permanently remove the roof and/or doors
- Vehicles with 700 hp or greater (manufactured or modified)
- Right-hand drive vehicles newer than 25 years, specifically those imported from Japan such as a Nissan Skyline, Toyota Supra or Toyota Land Cruiser
- Dune buggies
- Motorhomes or recreational vehicles
All coverage not available in all provinces. This is only a general description of coverage. All coverage is subject to policy provisions, exclusions and endorsements.
* Storage and driver eligibility are subject to underwriter review and to all applicable provincial and underwriting restrictions.